Greyhound Homer

finding forever homes in Suffolk and North Essex
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:31 am

Post subject: joe
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:31 am 

Hi everyone

I lost Ollie in November and my spaniel a few weeks ago, and decided the house needed another greyhound! I chose Joe and collected him yesterday. I don't have a facebook account but can read the news and sally put my note about joe on there. He is a very handsome dog, quite relaxed and already affectionate.

As I said on facebook, he toured the bungalow, stopping to sip at the toilet (must remember to keep the seat down) and flipped my bin lid up a couple of times, although didn't fancy the contents! I might have to remove it when I go out, my spaniel before he was too old to stretch up, used to tip the bin over and rifle the contents.

He slept well last night, although on the settee, which I don't normally allow, but not easy to stop him at night. He doesn't attempt it during the day.

He walks well, although at the moment barks at some other dogs if they come close and sounds aggressive, but I expect that is because everything is strange to him and he needs to feel confident. I am keeping him muzzled until he relaxes with them, he doesn't seem to mind the muzzle.

Thank you for all your good wishes for Joe. I enclose a photo in case anyone is not on facebook, well I might attach one when I make it smaller!

marion

Post subject: Re: joe
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:01 am 

Hi Marion,

We are all delighted Joe has found a lovely new home with you. We have seen the picture on face book and he looks very comfy on his new bed. We are sure he will settle in just fine. Sorry you have recently lost your dear spaniel but am sure Joe will have much love to give. Good luck with keeping him off the sofa :lol:

Look forward to hearing how he gets on in the coming weeks.

Gill, Bryan, Lucky and Flossy :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:28 pm 

Hello Marion,

Well done on getting another greyhound - they are gorgeous dogs and so deserving of a safe, warm, loving home!

I hope you and Joe will share many wonderful years together.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:14 am 

Commiserations on losing your dear spaniel recently but congratulations on re-homing Joe - I'll go on FB in a bit and have a look at him but look forward to hearing all about him settling in with you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:36 am 

yeah for Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:04 pm 

Hi Marion

Well done, I bet he has his paws well under the table already :D

Hope he is settling in ok, keep us updated on his antics :lol:

Enjoy :!: :!: :!:

Amanda & Maddie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:53 am 

Great news that joe is doing well..he really is a super fella..Marion joe was always a little "vocal" in the paddocks sometimes so I think it's joe just doing his "joe stuff".. Best of luck with him! Ps bet he's enjoying his bonios :-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:01 am 

Jeff - joe is not vocal in the house, but he does bark and get excited at seeing small dogs! needless to say he has his muzzle on. Its more his talent for opening my fridge with one flick of his paw I am amazed at.

More news at end of a week with him.

marion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:30 am 

Great to hear you have a new hound in your life and Joe sounds a lovely character. Hope you both have wonderful times getting to know each other. So sorry you lost your Spaniel though xxxxxxx
Rowena, Belle and Teddy send hugs xx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:21 am 

Hi

Joe has settled in really well. Very affectionate and outgoing dog and a quick learner. He learned to sit - well sort of, more a lie down, for a bonio in 3 goes, but maybe he has done it before.

We had a problem with separation at first, as expected, and he chewed at my inner hall door and opened it. I have since changed the flip handle to a knob. As recommended I muzzled him for long sessions away. I am in all day but am out several evenings a week. But he is a lot better now and quickly settles on the sofa when I go out. He also raided my kitchen and fridge - one flick of the paw opened the fridge, I spied on him through a back window, a pound of mince bought for him and two rolo deserts were eaten and also he can reach right to the back of surfaces. So the kitchen door is kept shut now.

He is good at night apart from wanting to go out in the middle of it as he has loose bowels still.

Knows when he should be fed as he stands by the food bowl.

All in all we are both very happy.

marion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:23 am 

Sounds like he's settling well, maybe a fridge lock (the type you use if you have small children) would stop his raiding? If he still has loose bowels can I suggest you buy a tin of canned pumpkin and mix some in his food, just a couple of big spoonfuls can work wonders. I now have a can permanently on stand-by, picked up the tip from the Greyhound Data forum where some breeder/trainers swear by it. I used it on Zack and Kenzo at the end of last year when they were having dreadful tummy problems and it worked far better, and much quicker than pro-kolin.