Greyhound Homer

finding forever homes in Suffolk and North Essex
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:04 pm

Post subject: Heart palpitations or what? Has anyone seen this?
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:03 pm 

Yesterday my girl Jasmine was suddenly immobile and distressed, although not panting. I felt her chest, and her heartbeat was flipflopping, no specific rythm. When I felt her inner back thigh (where she always has a strong pulse so it's the best place to tell for sure) and there was only a very faint vibration.

She wouldn't move, even when I asked if she wanted a treat. It passed after 5 min. I took her to the vet immediately, but since it had passed they didn't know what it was. This is the second time this has happened.

Has anyone else ever had this happen, and do you know the cause? I'm worried.

Post subject: Re: Heart palpitations or what? Has anyone seen this?
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:18 pm 

Hi Cee,
So sorry to hear about Jasmine - you must be worried sick. I'm so sorry I can't give you any helpful answers, but I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you both and crossing my fingers! Good luck xxx

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:06 am 

Hi Cee

What a worry - no idea what it could be and I guess it's hard for the vet once it's passed. What about trying to capture it on video if it happens again so you can show them? And how is she the rest of the time?

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:13 pm 

Thank you Anne and Jac. That is a brilliant idea. Next time we'll film it so the vet can see. It hasn't happened again thank goodness. I know she's getting old, so I know things will crop up. Hopefully it is nothing serious. I saw that you had lost Zack last October, Jac, and I wanted to offer my condolences. I'm sorry for your loss.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:05 am 

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again but I suppose as they get older, as you say, more and more things will crop up. Thanks Cee, it left a large hole in our lives which Joe is doing his best to fill for us :)

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:48 am 

It is wonderful that you adopted again. There aren't many tracks here in the US anymore, so when the time comes when I want to adopt again it will be more difficult and/or expensive to find one, I think.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:16 am 

We had to, Kenzo was getting so miserable without a mate :(

Whereabouts are you in the States? My sister lives in SW Florida and there seems to a few around there. When we were over visiting last year I met a guy out walking three dogs, one of which was a greyhound so of course I had to stop and say hello. It turned out his female greyhound was 17!!! She looked old and grey and a bit skinnier than ours but other than that he said she was fine, still enjoying her walks and her food :)

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:48 pm 

Florida is one of the 6 States that still have racetracks. It is now illegal in 40 States, legal but not practiced in 4 and only legal and practiced in 6 States.

Wow 17. That is amazing! I do hear of people that have hounds that have a long lifespan. That is wonderful. My vet said in Florida where he used to live, he had a Greyhound donor that lived to 16. Many Vets here used to have a resident Greyhound that they kept as a pet at the practice and a blood donor. I don't imagine it is as common now. Peter and Jasmine seem super healthy, so maybe they will be with me for years to come. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:46 pm 

Yep, we did a little road trip with my sister last year and going through St Petersburg there was a plaque up somewhere saying it was the oldest greyhound track (I assume just in the USA?). I guess the warm weather helps, especially as they get older and start to suffer from arthritis but yes, 17 was a good age. I imagine the animal rights people would get their knickers in a right twist to think that a dog was being kept by a vet just to use as a donor - I know here there are blood vans that go and visit some kennels to take blood from several dogs at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:39 pm 

I didn't know that about warm weather. I thought the same thing...what kind of life is that for a dog, living at the vet it's entire life and being used as a blood donor. My Step-Mom worked at a vet where they had a Greyhound as a donor. She said that she was well taken care off...walked and able to roam around the practice, but that doesn't mean that vets were that good to them, I would think. I guess Greyhounds are universal donors and any dog can take their blood.